Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Experience is the Best Teacher…Wanna Bet?, By Preston Yarborough

“We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience.” --George Bernard Shaw

Just like many leadership educators, I believe in experiential learning. That having been said, G. B. Shaw had a point. Visit my office and I’ll prove it.

Darren is a colleague of mine. He’s sharp, witty, focused, prepared, and maintains an air of comfortable composure. I admire his work ethic and would love to emulate him. His office is the picture of organized efficiency: clean desk, file folders labeled and systematically arranged, and he effortlessly processes his work. When I’m at my best, I feel like I’m in the “Darren Zone.” Unfortunately I don’t find my way to the DZ all that often.


Like a mythical beast, clutter blocks my path to the DZ. I feed the beast daily when I’m too hurried to file documents or when I refuse to throw stuff away. I gauge where files are by how recently I last used them. If it’s been awhile, it’s probably at the bottom of a stack. More recent items are likely on top. It takes a minute or three of shuffling to locate most anything. This amuses the beast.

I’m embarrassed and ashamed. Do I know why my office looks this way? Yes. Do I know from experience this system holds me back? Absolutely. But experience can be a lousy teacher.

If experience isn’t going to teach me, how might I slay this beast? Warren Bennis offered insight in his book, On Becoming a Leader:

Your accumulated experience is the basis for the rest of your life, and that base is solid and sound to the degree that you have reflected on it, understood it, and arrived at workable solutions.

Bennis’ quote bears repeating, “Accumulated experience …. is solid and sound to the degree that you have reflected on it, understood it, and arrived at a workable solution.” Reflection and Understanding are keys to upacking insight from experience.

Reflection is different from merely remembering, recording, or reporting experience. When we reflect, we take time to consider experience from multiple perspectives. Through this process, we can enhance our understanding of self and others.

We may reflect inwardly (on ourselves) on by examining our observations, thoughts, feelings, and actions. We reflect outwardly (on others) through examining our perceptions of others' actions and our interpretation of others’ thoughts and feelings.

Fine practitioners of the reflective arts are intentional and systematic. They choose a specific, personal development goal as a focal point for reflection. They will describe the experience, examine it, articulate their learning, and apply insights to improve their performance.* Consider this example:
GOAL: I want to keep a more organized office.
DESCRIBE ACTIONS: I can reflect on my day and consider the times I filed things away (constructive goal behavior) versus the times I did not (destructive goal behavior).
EXAMINE: What factors (thoughts, feelings, & conditions) helped me follow through on my goal? What factors hindered me? What decisions could I have made differently to perform better? How might I prepare myself so that I improve next time?
ARTICULATE LEARNING: I now convey what I learned from this personal inquiry. This reflective process helps me understand factors that influence my behavior, how to make proactive decisions, and to prepare myself for success. I will now set a plan according to these insights. Insights mean little if they aren’t converted into action.

Reflection is most powerful when it is objective. The point isn’t to justify one’s self—but rather to seek deeper understanding. Once we develop understanding, then we have increased our ability to develop workable solutions.

Those who learn the art of reflection turbocharge their capacity for self-growth. Reflection is at the heart of personal development, but it is not as easy as it sounds. It takes practice. Participating in group reflections (verbal), reflective journaling (written), and leadership coaching (verbal) are all excellent ways to practice reflection. Each of these processes helps you learn how to reflect on relevant issues, broaden your observational awareness, and enhance your ability to discern insights from experience. Don’t be discouraged if early efforts seem hollow, unsatisfactory, or even frustrating. It’s part of the process. Once it clicks for you, you’ll never turn back. And you will differentiate yourself from those who mistakenly believe that experience will teach them all they need to know.

* Describe, Examine, and Articulate Learning are described in the DEAL model of critical reflection by Patti Clayton, PhD
Author:
Preston Yarborough, Ph.D.
Assistant Director of Leadership
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)

4 comments:

  1. So, Preston, how's your office look now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Kristi! And to the naked eye it's not terribly impressive. Although it's not where I want it to be, it is better than it has been. Change is difficult. I've learned subtle daily decisions impact my level of organization. I'm looking forward to a good "spring cleaning" next week. I've done a better job prioritizing throughout the semester. I know what can go and what needs to stay. In the past, it would all be mixed together and I'd procrastinate cleaning up because it took too much effort to sort through the keepers and the discards. I'll post a picture next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Dr. Preston! It directly ties to Marin Burton's "Experiential Learning" post, as well as Dianne Garrett's posts about change.

    ReplyDelete