Thursday, November 4, 2010

CREATE and ACHIEVE Your Personal Vision, By Katelyn Chapman

Huh? What’s a vision board? It’s your vision of what you want to have, be or do in your life plastered on a board. What does this do? It helps you (1) Identify what you really want in life (2) Visually remind you of your GOALS every day, and (3) Clarifies the process for achieving your goals.

How do I use a Vision Board? I’ll take you through my journey…

During my sophomore year at The University of Tampa, I attended a speech by Mr. Delatorro, an inspirational speaker. While speaking on the Anatomy of a Student Leader, Delatorro illustrated a connection between pictures, aspirations, and the power of visual reinforcement. He associated the anatomy of our eyes with the value of visual representation. He asked the audience, “What do you do if you live far from your family or loved one?” We answered, "We keep pictures of them around our house." Images help us feel the presence of those we love, even from great distances.

Ever notice how easy it is to forget about your goals when life gets completely crazy? Life's chaos and complexity can cause us to become distanced from our goals. This separation is one of the most common roadblocks impeding personal growth and development.

When I left Mr. Delatorro, I made a pledge to transform my life through identifying my goals and using visual reminders to reinforce their presence each and every day. How? I blocked off a period of “ME" time which I used to get creative. School work is important and I’m sure I had a test I could have been studying for. But this was something that could offer me long-term benefits. How awesome is that?! Investing a little time now can provide great dividends later. To set the appropriate vibe, I turned on some a cappella music that resonated positive and fun feelings. I then explored my goals and ambitions in a holistic fashion--not just School, but also Friends, Family, Career, and my general Well-Being. Balance is important for me. If I focus all my energy on school and career at the expense of quality relationships with friends and family, I won’t be happy. This exercise helps me maintain a positive and more realistic perspective. If one part of my life goes “bad" (like I got dumped by a boy), I can look at my Goal Sheet and realize many wonderful things going on in other parts of my life. Though I may feel lousy at the moment, the world isn’t going to end.

I've discovered each step of this process has it's own special value. After identifying goals (clarity of focus), I find a picture to reinforce each one (making the goal and reward easier to visualize). Next, I define the steps necessary to achieve it (establishing a plan and my priorities). I made goals for each semester but you can do anything that fits your fancy.

After identifying and illustrating your goals on the vision board, it is important to post your vision somewhere you pass every day. For me, this was usually behind my desk or on my closet door. For others, it’s on the door of the bathroom or in their personal planner. I used this concept throughout my undergraduate career to clarify my personal direction.

This process can be helpful for developing others as well. As a personal trainer, I found this exercise to be meaningful for my clients. I would ask them to (1) Identify a specific goal they had (i.e. lose 10 lbs), then (2) Find a visual reminder that reinforces them (i.e. old picture of them, magazine clip, bathing suit that they would purchase upon completion, etc.) and (3) Place that visual reminder where they would see it every day.

Recently I traveled back to The University of Tampa and visited some friends on campus. I was intrigued to see different applications of this Vision Board technique on book covers, compilations of magazine clippings, and collages on dorm walls right behind their desk. The Vision Board abides! In fact, it made me realize I hadn’t made my typical goal sheet for this semester. Darn! I let my second-year of MBA classes get so busy that I forgot one of the most important things in my routine. Upon returning home, I blocked off some “ME" time. I cranked a little classical music (yes, I know that sounds nerdy) and created a 20" X 40" vision board (see photo).
I included drawings and inspirational quotes that make me tick. (I wouldn't call myself a Picasso or anything, but check out the artful stick figures!) After investing an hour to create my vision board, I felt great! Seeing the “high bar” I set for every area of my life felt exciting and empowering. Now the only person stopping me would be me. I see that vision board every day. It’s a friendly reminder that gently nudges me to fulfill my potential and live my dreams.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on creating and achieving your personal vision. Have you used a goal sheet and/or vision board before? Are there other methods you use to motivate you? Add a Comment to share your thoughts.


Here are more examples of vision boards created by Leadership Challengers.

Author:
Katelyn Chapman
Leadership Graduate Assistant
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)

3 comments:

  1. Ohh man. Now I'm geeking out. Love it Katelyn and thanks. We'll be incorporating that into our planning and decision-making session. I'm going to use it this weekend at the UNCG Guarantee retreat I'm facilitating. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Katelyn. Dave and I are going to create a board together (since many of our goals involve the two of us) so that we can be reminded of the the goals we have for the upcoming year. It seems very easy to say we want to do something and then forget about it quickly because life is so crazy and hectic. Having the board out in a space we see every day should help. How often do you recommend updating the board? I'm thinking every three or four months, so that it stays current and re-energizes us. - Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle, Sounds great! I will have to see it next time we visit. I do suggest updating it every 3-4 months. The practice of revisiting it can (1) feel good when we meet certain goals or see the positive progress we've made to them (adding additional motivation for setting new stretch goals, (2) anchor us back to what's important in our lives (if we happened to drift away from something, and (3) notice changes desired for the future.

    ReplyDelete