Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Values and Leadership, By Preston Yarborough

Values shape how we see our world and how we define the worth of our experiences. When I think back on special moments, I recall a day during my final semester of college when I’d invited my father to join my class. I wanted him to come because my thesis was selected for presentation to the graduating seniors in the English department.

I don’t remember what the paper was about; but I can remember exactly where Dad sat in the audience. I clearly recall how proud he was and how good it felt to have pleased him. It felt special to be recognized among my peers for a project I’d worked hard to complete. I wasn’t the smartest in my class—not even by some margin! Even so, my professor thought my paper was one of the top three.

Why does this experience stand so boldly in my memory? For one, family is a key value of mine. I was representing not only myself, but also my family. Any accolades I received were shared with my Dad; and through him, the rest of my family. That was special. Education and gaining the respect from my peers was important too. Through much of my undergraduate career I wasn’t sure if I belonged. I wondered if I was smart enough. I was surrounded by people who seemed much more prepared and more “at home” with college. When presenting my paper I’d proven to myself that I was competent, but I’m also competitive. It felt good to distinguish myself among an esteemed group of scholars.

The bold words in the paragraph above represent core values that are important to me. These values helped motivate me, guide me, and provided me the courage and persistence to accomplish my personal goal.

Think back over the past year or two and jot a brief list of your personal highlights. Consider things you’ve accomplished or helped others accomplish, things you’ve seen that made an impression on you, or people that impacted your life. Review your list and consider why you chose those particular people or episodes. What made them special? Give it a close look and you’ll find significant clues about your values.

Your values will help shape your leadership. Successful leaders are willing to sacrifice, to push through obstacles, and persist when others say they should quit. If you can’t find a cause that has value (there’s that word again), then you’ll be more inclined to give up.

Author:
Preston Yarborough, Ph.D.
Assistant Director of Leadership
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)

No comments:

Post a Comment